FleshFactor: <<< Wigglism >>>

symposium, I'd like to submit a poem/manifesto, "Wigglism," which has been
incubating over the internet (and that lovely old flesh-node known as the
cafe). Stocker wrote:

"The classic Western model of the individual as an autonomous,
inward-looking entity is relinquished in favour of a hybridized, networked
subjectivity, within which we are forced to perceive ourselves as dynamic
nodes in a social network of communication."

THE WIGGLISM MANIFESTO was generated by, and is also a treatment of, a
"networked subjectivity." It has been evolving on the internet and in
Brooklyn cafe since 1996, absorbing emotional nutrients and conceptual
alacrity from numerous individuals. I've also distributed versions of it as
flyers in the flesh worlds of New York, Northern Ireland, and London. Much
of Wigglism grows out of the ecological and cyborg sensibilities of
(Williamsburg) Brooklyn's multimedia, interdisciplinary warehouse events
(such as our 1993 "Organism"), as well as my own "Nerve Circle" media
rituals which I've conducted since teaching at MIT's Media Lab in the mid
1980's. The essence of Wiggling is to abandon the decaying, often ironic
discourses of both "art" and "pop" (humanist creatures) and redefine
cultural activity as an ACTIVE CREATION AND NURTURING OF VITAL LIFEFORMS (a
post-humanist, ecological creature). However, "lifeform" itself is
redefined as a NON-OBJECTIVE presence, or conflux, of ecological,
technological, and subjective squirmings. >>>>This is Spawn #5. I invite
input from all. It is still evolving:

                  ////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 /////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
******************** WIGGLISM MANIFESTO *********************
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////

                TO NURTURE THAT WHICH WIGGLES

We loop into vital coilings, this coiling, our coiling.
We spark the fibrillations of a vague biological embrace.
We nurture that which wiggles
  -of flesh or steel, sinew or circuit, mud or imagination;
transmuting art into a zoology of spirit.

              FOR THAT WHICH WIGGLES IS AMAZING

We dissolve every bloodless workstation, artifact, and module of
consumption, into the acids of living ritual. We grow connections in an
ecology of twitches and presences; soaking tendrils of thought and
conscience in a spray of fibrous feedback; infusing phantoms and facts with
equal measures of visceral significance; writhing among the rivulets and
curls of screaming knowledge.

We breed turbulent creatures in a mongrel jungle of plasma, machines, and
minds. We struggle to love these creatures, these convulsions, to keep that
which is lively, and that which sustains life, in supreme focus. May the
lethal pomposities of art and science disappear in the surrounding blur.

So let us gently secrete every milky ganglion and wire into the quivering
wilderness; Let us siphen every atom, and theory of atom, into the hot
belly of shared being; melting into the monstrous, pulsing mystery of that
which seems to be alive.

Let us entwine with the infinite squirming,
THE SUPER WIGGLING
which thrives in slippery suspension
somewhere between us.

Ebon Fisher  1996-97