Re: FleshFactor: Re: re: "why is the there, there?"

{ brad brace } wrote:

>The atomizing nature of the marketplace itself separates people from
>responsibility for their own actions, allows them -- or even requires them
>-- to detach themselves from the whole.
>
>The wondrous machine of global revolution is oscillating out of control,
>widening the arcs of social and economic instabilities in its wake. The
>destructive pressures building up within the global system are leading
>toward an unbearable chaos that, even without a dramatic collapse, will
>likely provoke the harsh, reactionary politics that can shut down the
>system. This outcome is avoidable if nations will put aside theory and
>confront what is actually occurring, if they have the courage to impose
>remedial changes before it is too late. (Greider)

And what are these 'remedial changes' we would have 'nations' impose?

A note about virtual markets:  a market is not inherently alienating.
Early markets were focal points for community...in fact, where else would
people  meet and form community, than on the trading ground?  It is not the
market, but the form of technology, that alienates.  One-to-many broadcast
technology is an alienating force, but many-to-many technology facilitates
community markets, the members of which meet in the cyberspace equivalent
of street markets.

Jon Lebkowsky       <jonl@onr.com>

---------

http://www.well.com/~jonl