FleshFactor: Hi from BA conference in Leeds, UK (mon 7)

I'm in Leeds at the British Association conference, but I wish I was in
Linz. I had to choose between this and your excellent lineup in the
Flesh Factor. Last night Roger Penrose made mincemeat out of Kevin
Warwick in the banally-titled "Will Machines rule the Earth." He didn't
even have to mention the quantum nature of consciousness.  We needed
Moravec or Stelarc to be here - are you out there Stelarc?

Today we had the new UK cabinet minister Margaret Beckett offering more
money for science and technology - perhaps. A lot about transgenics,
cloning, fusion power, 'post-modern' science and what to ask an alien. A
lot of gee-whiz Brit science.  An interesting standoff between animal
rights and experimenters tomorrow.  Not much on consciousness research. I
look forward to online reports of Haraway's address from there tomorrow.

Rob La Frenais   (75337.207@compuserve.com)