FleshFactor: WIGGLISM, Love, and A-life

NURTURING LIFEFORMS OF ALL PERSUASIONS

As our computers have moved from illustrating life, to actually evolving
life-like processes, we might be induced by the vulnerabilities of the
creatures themselves to make a radical change of heart. We might be induced
to change our values from that of impartial science to highly partial
PARENTING of new lifeforms. However, many artificial life researchers,
nervous about losing funding, find it more respectable to align their work
with the mainstream arts culture. This is an obvious reaction. The
art/technology equation is in evidence everywhere from MIT's Media Lab in
the USA, to ArtLab in Tokyo. Magazines such as Mondo 2000, Leonardo, and
Wired spread the formula further.

And yet artificial lifeforms seem to beg for a very different equation.
They beg for an ethic of nurturing which is rooted in the less pedantic
realms of the counter-culture, religion, mothering, mid-wifery, and (small
scale) animal husbandry. It's no wonder the connection is missed, but it's
sad. The little creatures need a lot of love. With this last post for
FleshFactor I repeat the Wigglism Manifesto, which was developed with the
input of many creatures over the web.  Much thanks to Tom Sherman and the
others for nurturing FleshFactor into a vital entity:

W I G G L I S M  M A N I F E S T O

TO NURTURE THAT WHICH WIGGLES

We loop into vital coilings, this coiling, our coiling.
We spark the fibrillations of a vague, biological embrace.
We nurture that which wiggles -of flesh or steel,
sinew or circuit, mud or imagination;
transmuting art into a zoology of spirit.

FOR THAT WHICH WIGGLES IS AMAZING

We dissolve every bloodless workstation, artifact,
and module of consumption, into the acids of living ritual.
We grow connections in an ecology of twitches and presences;
soaking tendrils of thought and conscience in a spray of fibrous feedback;
infusing phantoms and facts with equal measures of visceral significance;
writhing among the rivulets and curls of screaming knowledge.

We breed turbulent creatures in a mongrel jungle of plasma, machines, and
minds.  We struggle to love these creatures, these convulsions, to keep
that which is lively, and that which sustains life, in supreme focus.  May
the lethal pomposities of art and science disappear in the surrounding
blur.

So let us gently secrete every milky ganglion and wire into the quivering
wilderness;  Let us siphon every atom, and theory of atom, into the hot
belly of shared being;  melting into the monstrous, pulsing mystery of
that which seems to be alive.

Let us entwine with the infinite squirming,
THE SUPER WIGGLING
which thrives in slippery suspension
somewhere between us.

-Ebon Fisher, all input welcome (manifesto still evolving)
 alula@interport.net
 http://www.users.interport.net/~outpost/ebon.html

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

                Ebon Fisher
                NERVE CIRCLE CREATIONS
                alula@interport.net

phone/Ireland:  011-44-1504-268-768