Contemporary digital sound productions from the broad spectrum of “electronica” come in for consideration in the “Digital Musics & Sound Art” category, as do works combining sound and media, computer compositions ranging from electro-acoustic to experimental music, as well as sound installations.
What should you enter?
- Sound and New Media- (audio visual performance, sonic sculpture, intermedia / video / film soundtracks, installations, soundspace projects, radio works, net-music, generative musics, etc.)
- Electronica- as in Dub, Techno, Microsound, Ambient, Global, Minimal, HipHop, Jazz, Noise, Downtempo, Drum’n Bass, Mondo/Exotica, digital DJ-culture, Mash-ups, Music videos, Glitch, Plunderphonics etc.
- Computer compositions (algorithmic, acousmatic and experimental), analog and electro-acoustic methodologies, the use of voices and acoustic or amplified instruments are allowed as well, but the crucial criterium is the artistic and inventive use of digital tools to manifest a convincing realization.
The crucial criterion is the artistic and innovative use of digital tools to manifest a convincing realization.
Who can submit an entry?
- The work entered must have been created, realized or significantly updated within the last two years.
- Participants may be individuals, groups, institutions, companies etc.
- Exclusively commercially oriented activities in the sense of product advertisement are excluded.
The following materials are needed for the submission.
- Audio file via upload (wav,mp3,aif,mov,ogg …)
- Video documentation (3-10 minutes), in case sound installations, real-time performances, audio/visual environments, etc .
- 2-3 minute excerpt (that effectively gives an introductory summation of the essential elements explored in the whole piece. This edited extract can serve as a compressed remix of different musical areas of the longer composition, or the participant can simply choose a continuous representative slice. This helps the Jury to deal with large quantities of submissions in a focused judicial manner.)
- Images describing the project (JPG, TIF, BMP, PNG (at maximum quality. Compressed file (like .zip .lzh file) is not acceptable.)
- detailed description of the work (concept and content. Award-winning works may be performed in conjunction with the Festival Ars Electronica. Entrants are therefore requested to provide precise information about the technical set-up of all required equipment as well as suggestions regarding any technicians, musicians or soloists necessary to implement the production plans submitted.)
- A portrait photo and biography of the artist(s)
- Optional: additional material (images/drawings/score (PDF)/documents (PDF)/ …)
All the entries will be judged by a Jury of experts in the order of their arrival and according to the following criteria:
- Aesthetics, originality
- Compelling conception
- Innovation in the special expression of sonic imagination
- Technique and quality of the presentation
In addition to the works entered by participants, each Jury may also nominate other works.