Digital Musics & Sound Art
You can submit your work in Digital Musics & Sound Art for Prix Ars Electronica 2017. This year (2016), the open categories are: Computer Animation/Film/VFX, Interactive Art +, Digital Communities and u19 – CREATE YOUR WORLD. Please come back next year if your work does not fit in one of the open categories.
Contemporary digital sound productions from the broad spectrum of “electronica” come in for consideration in the “Digital Musics & Sound Art” category, as do works combining sound and media, computer compositions ranging from electro-acoustic to experimental music, as well as sound installations.
What should you enter?
- Sound and New Media- (audio visual performance, sonic sculpture, intermedia / video / film soundtracks, installations, soundspace projects, radio works, net-music, generative musics, etc.)
- Electronica- as in Dub, Techno, Microsound, Ambient, Global, Minimal, HipHop, Jazz, Noise, Downtempo, Drum’n Bass, Mondo/Exotica, digital DJ-culture, Mash-ups, Music videos, Glitch, Plunderphonics etc.
- Computer compositions (algorithmic, acousmatic and experimental), analog and electro-acoustic methodologies, the use of voices and acoustic or amplified instruments are allowed as well, but the crucial criterium is the artistic and inventive use of digital tools to manifest a convincing realization.
The crucial criterion is the artistic and innovative use of digital tools to manifest a convincing realization.
Who can submit an entry?
- The work entered must have been created, realized or significantly updated within the last two years.
- Participants may be individuals, groups, institutions, companies etc.
- Exclusively commercially oriented activities in the sense of product advertisement are excluded.
The following materials are needed for the submission.
- Audio file via upload (wav,mp3,aif,mov,ogg …)
- Video documentation (3-10 minutes), in case sound installations, real-time performances, audio/visual environments, etc .
- 2-3 minute excerpt (that effectively gives an introductory summation of the essential elements explored in the whole piece. This edited extract can serve as a compressed remix of different musical areas of the longer composition, or the participant can simply choose a continuous representative slice. This helps the Jury to deal with large quantities of submissions in a focused judicial manner.)
- Images describing the project (JPG, TIF, BMP, PNG (at maximum quality. Compressed file (like .zip .lzh file) is not acceptable.)
- detailed description of the work (concept and content. Award-winning works may be performed in conjunction with the Festival Ars Electronica. Entrants are therefore requested to provide precise information about the technical set-up of all required equipment as well as suggestions regarding any technicians, musicians or soloists necessary to implement the production plans submitted.)
- A portrait photo and biography of the artist(s)
- Optional: additional material (images/drawings/score (PDF)/documents (PDF)/ …)
All the entries will be judged by a Jury of experts in the order of their arrival and according to the following criteria:
- Aesthetics, originality
- Compelling conception
- Innovation in the special expression of sonic imagination
- Technique and quality of the presentation
In addition to the works entered by participants, each Jury may also nominate other works.