FleshFactor: Re: re: prostheses are us

>whatever it is the shape and consistency our flesh is acquiring through
>this medium, it is strikingly linguistic in character. ...  we tend, quite
>strongly it seems to me, to turn ourselves into language:
        --Guillermo Cifuentes

Golly, I don't quite see that.  At least, it seems to me highly
exaggerated, to put it mildly, to say this.  In what sense is my stomach
linguistic?  Or my tendons?  Or my cortex?  That I have names for them
does not MAKE them linguistic -- does not make them a part of language in
any obvious sense.  I realize that I am taking you very literally here,
but if you do not mean it literally, (and surely it is false if taken
literally) what DO you mean?

pat

Patricia Smith Churchland
pschurchland@ucsd.edu