FleshFactor: Re: current debates

hi mark [Sottilaro] -- I am not sure what you mean, "a spiritual
nature that cannot be communicated to machines".  I am a machine -- albeit
a meat machine, a dynamical complex meat machine.  Of course there are
some things you cannot communicate to a roto-tiller or a Barbie doll --
but there are also some things I cannot communicate to some human beings,
such as why I love being in the bush for weeks on end, even though there
are real discomforts, such as mosquitoes, black flies, rainy weather etc.
But it does not mean much that I cannot communicate these things to some
people.  I read Einstein as saying merely "don't assume we have the whole
story yet.. there are still things to discover."

pat

Patricia Smith Churchland
pschurchland@ucsd.edu
Philosophy Department 0119