FleshFactor: responses to Stocker.

Stocker wrote in his introduction: "a clear distinction
between the subject and object ceases to be possible."

As though it ever was.  The distinction was only temporarily
clear in a brief period of recent history, the past few hundred
years, and only then in portions of the world dominated by
western thought, and only there in those people dominated by
Descartes' desperate attempt to escape the emotional aftermath
of the "thirty years war" by postulating some arena in which
there might not be death and suffering, an arena called mathematical
certainty, and apply it to the world.

Stocker also said: "our media are a second skin at the periphery of the
body."

As though there is a periphery.  The skin is a completely arbitrary
divider.  Why not count the periphery as being one inch outside the
skin?  Then someone who comes close enough enters a little bit into me.
Does it not sometimes feel like that?  Would this not be a truer feeling
expression than putting the boundary at the skin?  Why not count the
periphery as being 1mm under any sense organs, and only in the direction
they are facing.  Thus scraping my knee or cutting my hand, as a small
child might do everyday, do not break my periphery, unless a sense organ
is injured.  The location of the bodily media periphery cannot be
discovered by physical measurement.  It is not a physical property.  It
is an epiphenomen of the proximal/distal Gestalt structure of human
functioning.  That constantly changes.

-mark

Mark Weiser, Chief Technologist
Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC)
www.ubiq.com/weiser
(also drummer for Severe Tire Damage, first band on the Internet)
www.std.org