FleshFactor: "Help!" explained

>But what is the "Help!"?  Machines already want to acquire land, found
>churches, etc.  Face it, Peter, you are a machine.  And I look forward to
>meeting you.

Likewise Mark, Greetings...

What can I say, my daughter is two and I'm still into control and dominance!
Sure I'm a machine and a territorial one at that. I'm hesitant to introduce
a superior contender.  Does anybody doubt that these silicon machines will,
at some point, have the capability to usurp us? Is this where we want to go?
Perhaps we have no choice. (Two deep breaths. Calm. I am in a sea of eternal
tranquillity).  I try to avoid writing long posts, but allow me one
exception, so that I can be more thorough.

The reason we don't have conscious machines now is we haven't really defined
our own intelligence and that is why such machines seem so remote.  But it
isn't far off at all. The answer is as near as this paragraph.  Here is how
to make a conscious machine and, incidentally, explain our own awareness. It
dawned on me one day, what if the hard part of designing the silicon machine
was the cybernetic, and the easy part was the intelligence. What if the
words running across our foreheads are the work of genetic algorithms.
Perhaps they are algorithmic vowels that cooperate and compete to form
speech through child-rearing feedback iterations. With appropriate memory in
tow, random sounds (babbling) link together to form words, these are
reinforced by the parents.  In time, the sentences become more complex, even
original. All the components of speech, such as grammar, develop on their
own. A certain personality emerges, unpredicted and not programmed. A
personality that is wholly dependent on the evolution and organization of
these specific genetic algorithms (not to mention biological genetic
influences). Because these genetic algorithms are designed to sustain
themselves, and speech is their ticket, then they will develop speech
strategies to succeed. The winners will form a personality, a complex
algorithmic ideosphere, which is analogous to the biosphere, being comprised
of many contending but balanced idea-species. Some personalities will be
kind, others cruel.  Some will be average, some will be brilliant. There is
no way of predicting.

Write a computer program to conform to the above conditions.  At first, just
like a child, the words will be disorganized, but in time, they will grow
sophisticated and even original.  In its world, the computer is totally
devoid of any sense of the outside, but for you.  I think you will find that
you are enough.  This is a primary system you can create on a home PC. You
could devise a machine that includes three of these personalities that
interact from separate perspectives. One that organizes sensory input, one
that estimates through simulation the future and one that divides itself
into influencing the others from two philosophic perspectives, the one
(holistic) and the many (linear). Let these interact through heuristic and
autocatalytic processes. Once you've gone this far, add a few sensory
components, a couple of wheels, and what have you got?

Help!

Thanks for the response,

--Peter

Peter Charlot