FleshFactor: Re: Whether it is possible to disagree with Dennett

Perhaps the problem is the definition of the word Machine.  It is quite
obvious to me that in the not so distant future we will abandon silicone
and metal in favor of genetically engineered organisms for many of our
current "machine" needs.  I'm sure there will be (already are) hybrids
in the interum.  We already are using animal sensory tissue to detect
small ppm of substances in air and water.  Where does the line between
animal and machine begin?  This is a sticky one.  If it's a free will
question, I am often a slave to my instincts, as are we all.  Is my
cat a furniture-scratching machine?  She certainly seems like one.  Is my
DNA a human-producing nanomachine?  Sure, why not?

And of course, language is a virus from outer space.
(thanks again Mr. Burroughs)

Mark

mark sottilaro <msottila@mailbox.syr.edu>