FleshFactor: RE: Re: re: brief comments (geek love)

>Jules Marshall comments, "what might it take for our computers (or
>anything else mass produced and replaceable) to be invested with a
>similar degree of emotional attachment? >

OK, you struck a nerve.

I must admit: while I don't always feel like I'm evolving, or even
enhancing myself with machines, I have formed deep relationships with
some of them.  Could I say that I love them?  Hmmmm.

Let me tell you a little story.

Once apon a time, while out shopping for guitar effects (an activity that
I am hopelessly addicted to), I came upon a shiny, little six string
electric number. It was very different than the G&L strat style.  It had a
locking tremolo system! (if you're not into guitars, don't worry. This is
irrelevant.) I wanted this new slick piece of machinery. I didn't have the
cash to buy it outright, but with the trade of my 10-year old G&L and a
$100, the salesman told me that it was mine.

I had just made an unexpected $100 engineering the sound at a wedding
ceremony the day before. It had to be fate.

Having made the trade, soon after I began to have my doubts.  I realized
that what I thought was love, was just lust.  My relationship with this
new instrument left me wanting more.  Much more.  More of what, I do not
know.  I began to feel like what someone must feel when they leave a
marriage for the younger, prettier "model", and realize that it was a
mistake.  I tried to ignore it for a month, but it was driving me
crazy.  I became obsessed with my old guitar.  I talked about it all the
time.  I visited it at the shop to see if anyone had bought it.  I was
coming undone.  I was driving my girlfriend crazy.  People were
commenting that I seemed depressed.  All for a guitar?  A hunk of wood,
metal and plastic?  How could this be?  After all, the new guitar had a
*LOCKING TREMOLO*.  In fact, there was absolutely no discernible reason
for me to miss my old guitar.

I went back and traded the new one back for the old one.  I felt like some
weight had been lifted.  I felt great.  It took a little re-adjusting to
get used to my old pal, but after a few hours it felt great.  I vowed
never to do anything like that again.  Although now, my main guitar is a
poly-carbonite resin, electronicly active pick-up, transtrem-sporting,
technologically advanced little baby, I will never get rid of that G&L.  I
still take her out and play her, from time to time.

It still feels great. (even though my poly-carbonite model is much
better in almost every way)  Am I like the guy that keeps all the old
versions of netscape?  Is my guitar just "data" that I can't seem to
part with?  It feels almost as if there is some sort of spirit embodied
in that crazy little machine.  Have I mentally grown around it, like a
tree grows around a chain link fence, or a child's treehouse?  Have I
evolved into something that cannot operate properly without it?  Maybe.

All I know is that I'm looking (almost unhealthily) forward to the next
Macintosh operating system that's due out at the end of this month.

....and I feel crazy.

 Mark Sottilaro

<msottila@mailbox.syr.edu>