FleshFactor: NAIVE LIBERTARIAN ATTITUDES

NAIVE LIBERTARIAN ATTITUDES

Am I the only one who is a bit put off by the simplistic libertarian
attitudes of the last series of FleshFactor posts? If we're on a fence
looking at the flesh AND technology, why is there such a naive view of the
flesh side, the human side, the cultural side? Much of the recent FleshFactor
contributors have mistaken their own personal psychology for the human
condition. Even worse, the human factor is treated as if it's an unchanging
set of wealthy, suburban American conditions. The only room for discussion is
the technology. I find this incredibly disturbing.

Solutions are always complex and involve the evolution of an entire culture.
As a computer geek since 1981, a video user since 1973, and a citizen for my
entire life, I think I'm entitled to be concerned about the narrowness of
some of the techno-culture I'm seeing in evidence in FleshFactor.

NEWSBOTS SAVE THE WORLD

Forgive my French, but it sounds as if some of you have little regard for the
need to develop a culture in tandem with the process of developing technology
for that culture. Our technology changes culture. Culture isn't static. For
instance, one person spoke as if "statistics" were something "out there"
beyond our responsibility. That is, frankly, creepy. Should we also assume
that poor people, teenage violence, corporate corruption, broken school
systems, and other stuff "out there" is all beyond the privileged glow of
technological fascination? Are those problems solved by programming our
newsbots to filter out that news?

-Ebon Fisher

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

                Ebon Fisher
                NERVE CIRCLE CREATIONS
                alula@interport.net

phone/Ireland:  011-44-1504-268-768