FleshFactor: The further full Bateson quote

Mark Weiser wrote:

>"All that is not information, not redundancy, not form and not restraints
>is noise, the only possible source of new patterns."
>                     - Bateson, Mind and Nature - A Necessary Unity, 1979
>
>It seems to me that noise, *together with* information, redundancy, form,
>and restraints, is a better generator of new patterns than noise alone.
>(If the concept of "noise alone" means anything.)

It seems to me that noise is the undeciphered substrate upon which the
emergent properties of evolution are dependent upon.  In other words, and
relative to our own possibilities of becoming partners in our own
evolution:

"The unchanging is imperceptible unless we are willing to move relative to it."
Gregory Bateson, Mind and Nature - A Necessary Unity, 1979, Page . 107

oliver hockenhull    <oliverh@intergate.bc.ca>

---

Recent film: Aldous Huxley: The Gravity of Light
http://www.digearth.bcit.bc.ca/dedocs/OH/gravity.htm