FleshFactor: responding to Lametschwandtner...

Guenther Lametschwandtner wrote:

"I have the feeling, this is just a very elusive way to express spiritual
desires for immortality and transcendence. The sole idea of a human way of
thinking without a human body denies the "fleshfactor" and suggests at the
same time that there may be some kind of spirit/soul independent of its
hardware/body."

I guess I'm in real basic mood this morning - it seems to me that the
issue at the center of this, like the issue at the center of religion, is
death.  What to do about death.  How to cheat death.  How to avoid death.
We don't like death because it defeats our desire and stated need to
predict and control the world around us.  We don't like death because it
is the only thing that we cannot fully know and express firsthand after
the experience.  We don't like death because it may be about annihilation.
We don't like death because we can't quantify it.  We don't like death.

When people engage in religious practice in Western Europe and talk about
the resurrection of the dead, that is at least in part a mental strategy
for dealing with death.  When people engage in religious practice in Asia
and make friends with the Void, that is part of a mental strategy for
dealing with death.  When people start creating schemes for downloading
the human onto a hard drive or whatever, that's a mental strategy for
dealing with death.  That the suggested price of the download is that we
identify ourselves with mechanisms, well that just shows you what we're
willing to pay.  It just exposes the power of the idea of death.

Carmen Hermosillo        <Carmen.Hermosillo@seagatesoftware.com>